View Single Post
Old 5th December 2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Hi Stuart, I'll have a look in my local leather supplier when they open up again, could be a little while as they closed their door whilst there is a family illness. I reckon they might just have some as I am amazed everytime I go there with the amount any variation they have. I'll keep you posted.
PM me your email addy if you like.

best regards

Gavin

Australia

PS how do customs view the import of this skin....any trouble you think??
I do not know what the NZ laws are regarding importation of animal parts, but there is always Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) to consider. CITES restricts, and in some cases prohibits, the trade in endangered & threatened species and there parts (such as skin). Under CITES you must obtain an exportation permit from the country of origin, then an importation permit for the destination country. The first step is to see if rays are on the list of protected species (this is from the US agency web cite, but it is the same for all convention signatories). If not, you are OK, but still advised to contact your Customs agency to be sure you are meeting any requirements that still apply. In the US, you must still apply for a permit, but then establish the material is not from an endangered species. In practical terms you do not have to do that, but it saves aggravation if for whatever reason Customs inspects the shipment. I suggest having the shipping manifest list the contents as "tanned leather" or something similar (make sure NZ doesn't restrict importing leather per se, though).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote