View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:52 PM   #2
ariel

This one is a locally-interpreted South Indian sword. In this case it is Khanda with a so-called Gulabkhati handle, an Indian basket hilt with a bent grip and a rose- like pommel ( as per Pant). You can look its name in a wonderful book by Albert van Zonneveldt: it has far to many “ eu’s” for me to know how to pronounce it correctly:-)

Apparently, the Sumatrans were not very impressed with the blade, because they favored tip-heavy ones, to amplify chopping function. These ones were ( apparently) used by the Royal guards. I am not into Indonesian weapons, but this one I would love to have next to its Indian ancestors.

Another locally-interpreted sword from the same area is Piso Podang.
The name. Podang apparently stems from the Portuguese word for a “ sword”, espadao, pronounced espadang. It has a handle characterized by Tulwar-like configuration but with deep cup-like pommel and baluster arising from the very bottom of it. It was observed in India of the 16 and earlier centuries. Jens was kind enough to send me pics from Hamzanamah showing such a handle. The only living example of it belongs to Brian Isaac and was illustrated by Elgood in his book about S. Indian weapons in the chapter about 4 important swords.
Thus, contacts with both Indians and the Portuguese left their imprints on Sumatran weapons.

The “ open cup” handle in India of 16 century is also shown in Hamzanamah ( thanks Jens!) and was preserved in NW part of the country, but with more shallow cup, and went to Afghanistan, where the cup acquired a lid (see pulwar). Jens in his book shows NW Indian or even Afghani saber with brass handle , likely 17 century, with such open cup and I have a similar one, much simpler, but with a deeper cup, also likely 17 century.

The travel of weapons is a fascinating story. One can trace peregrinations of decorative details, especially the handles , and superimpose historical evidence on physical objects.
This is a lot of fun!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote