View Single Post
Old 15th October 2015, 09:29 PM   #4
drac2k

As stated, I am no expert and you make a valid point on the blade however I made my assumption based on several reasons.
The first was the side hook for placing the item on what I would guess would be a belt . This feature was very much like the one on the tobikuchi and it would be an impediment in an actual fight ; if a blade struck the metal clasp, it would slide down onto the user's hand.I have also thought of the jingama as being a stealth weapon and as such, if I am correct, the owner might not want to wear it in clear sight.
Next, when I saw your item, I wondered if it had been cut down; many times(not always), these weapons will have an iron band or butt cap on the bottom.I was unable to get a good look at the end.
Finally, when I looked up tobikuchi on the internet, I found some examples with a similar beaked blade such as yours ; of course this doesn't mean anything, since items are often mislabeled on this medium.
In conclusion, since swords were often forbidden to the "common people,"many times the line between tool and weapon was blurred .Your weapon could certainly be a jingama and I am anxious to hear what the experts have to say.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote