View Single Post
Old 16th March 2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Lee
EAAF Staff

Angry Silly Season

I think the problems start with those animal rights pressure groups lobbying from the wrong-headed thinking that ivory, etc. must be made despicable and stigmatized to destroy all demand. This is then compounded by a lazy law enforcement mentality refusing to separate legitimate antiques from what arguably should be stigmatized. Hence we get these idiotic regulations that overly restrict legitimate antiques that are inherently not a significant threat to the endangered species, while still allowing import of trophy tusks from fresh 'licensed' kills.

The US Federal rules have been amended to be a bit more reasonable since the first version following President Obama's executive order, but "me too - me too - I'm more liberal than you!'" governments at the state level have complicated matters. At first, New York's subsequently enacted rules were a little more reasonable than the Federal rules - though not worth the bureaucratic hassles except for very high value items. Not to be outdone by neighboring New York, New Jersey then made up its own set of rules. Lew had some nice genuinely old ethnographic items with ivory and rhino horn elements that could now be sold interstate under the current Federal rules, but the state rules pretty much mean the only course of action for his family is to hold onto the items in hope that the rules will become more reasonable.

Jens is absolutely correct that we must try to reason with our legislators to see evolution of more sensible regulations that accomplish legitimate goals without the collateral insult and injuries.

I would advise collectors to be extremely careful about these overlapping and inconsistent rules that have been enacted at multiple levels of government until sense returns.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote