View Single Post
Old 17th December 2017, 03:38 PM   #10
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Rick and Fernando,
The orange hue is thick paint, not a stain, of a particular virulent hue so as far as I can ascertain definitely modern and chemical and not earth colours. I had thought that some moron had thought the orange would go better with their sense of decor as all of us no doubt have come across perfectly good items sullied usually with gold and silver paint used to 'enhance' their appearance. I will attempt to remove the barrel from the stock over the coming days and maybe there might be more info underneath the barrel. I have to say as it looks like it is an early 20thC piece I've got to get rid of that orange. Thanks again.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman - I think the orange paint was put on at time of manufacture to make the muskets more appealing to the natives. I've seen pictures of trade muskets in an African weapons book somewhere, and the stocks were painted red. I had a trade musket myself several years ago almost identical to yours (long since sold), and as I recall the stock is made of beechwood in two parts with the join halfway along the barrel, which can work apart over time... Maybe the paint was also meant to cover up imperfections ?

Regards,
Colin
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote