View Single Post
Old 15th February 2017, 06:34 PM   #60
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems whenever approaching a topic where highly complex aspects are involved, particularly religion and the Islamic Faith, it becomes necessary to highly quantify virtually every view or comment expressed. I think this is a good example, and as certainly the case, we do need to recognize these religious complexities in degree to better understand the symbolic and decorative aspects used in these hilts.

While the observation that there were certain proscriptions toward the portrayal or imagery of sentient beings in many cases in the numerous schools of thought and other divisions in the Islamic Faith is correct, the variations are indeed innumerable.

With the Mughals, as a whole these dynasties belonged to both Sunni and Shi'a followings, and the Sufi followings were present a varying degree.
While Ottomans were largely Sunni, the Janissaries were Bektashi Shi'a and again other variations were likely followed as with various nations in that empire and their Faiths.
The Persians of course were Shi'a and followed different approach to decorative allowances. The Mamluks were again of various followings.

It seems that with all of these empires, dynasties and nations there were considerable instances of degrees of synchretism between these Faiths and followings, and to adamantly classify certain restrictions presumed broadly applied probably best avoided.
I fully concede I am not a theologian, but this assessment is based on what understanding I have toward these historic periods and the Faith observed in them.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote