Thread: Indian Armguard
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2014, 05:24 AM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for the correction Estcrh, indeed the vambrace (dastana) or bazuband term for the arm guard is the proper term, and the hand covers or gauntlets are just that. Also, thank you for the additional photos and page. Would it be possible to know what reference they are from?

Returning to the 'dastana' we are examining, Robinson (p.96) notes that Sind forms are of the 'tubular' type (on p110 he refers to this tubular type as old Persian style) and opened and closed by means of long removable hinge pins.
The 'piano hinge' form here seems of course to suggest this may be more modern, but the comment of the use of long hinge pins in Sind may still be in this kind of configuration as later development. It seems many of these kinds of armor sets overall we are using in comparisons are likely parade examples which have been put together in composite, but each case would have to be assessed individually .

Also Estcrh thank you for adding the excerpts from the article, which is "Galvanizing Indian Mail", by Helen Bowstead Stallybrass and Andrew Bottomley, 'Royal Armouries Yearbook' #5.
Apparantly zinc was known in India for many centuries and as noted this process was used there before 1680. It does seem possible this dastana was so treated as it does have the dull gray cast but naturally hard to say from photos.

As indicated earlier, this topic is fascinating, but outside my usual field of study, so this is a learning experience for me as well, and I appreciate the corrections to my comments to keep the data in line. On that note, that is basically the same reason I keep asking for references to images etc.

"Oriental Armour" H.R Robinson, 1967
"Islamic Weapons in Polish Collections and their Provenance"
Z. Zygulski, ("Islamic Arms & Armour" 1979, ed. Robert Elgood)
"An Illustrated Handbook of Indian Arms" Lord Egerton of Tatton, 1880
"Arts of the Muslim Knight", Bashir Mohammed, 2008
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote