Old 19th October 2017, 03:14 PM   #208
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Old 28th May 2012, 06:16 PM #237

Posted by:
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Originally Posted by fernando
Shalom Ibrahiim,
No, i don't think this is an Arabic (or Mudejar) mark.
... Although in the Palomar Nomina, the one you cite with the 90 plus marks, some secret Moors are included; like Julian del Rey, wom i think Jim has an essay on ... but that is another story.
No, even in that lousy punction condition, one can see it is not an Arabic symbol ... crown, plus what looks like a (Latin) initial and all that. (Quote)

Salaams fernando ~ Yes I had my doubts when I saw the & in the final circle of the stamp which is as you point out Latin(Et = & = and) and would agree that it is either a Spanish or German stamp. (Solingen did a lot of copying and vica versa.) Regarding the snake insignia etched on swords there is an interesting link on Omani Sayf; markings for ID by Ilyiad on the Ethnographic forum which is interesting.
In addition it carries the running wolf copied stamp. In fact on the subject of the running woolf there are two forms;
1. The Passau of Germany(Solingen) and
2. The Perrillo of Spain (Toledo)

Whilst the former tends to be a running woolf the latter appears as a prancing or rearing dog. Good sword stamps appear copied onto Arabian swords but it is a puzzle since no one has defined from which area the stamp was copied..

Was it the German or Spanish stamp copied by middle eastern swordsmiths..?

On the & mark I had originally thought it may have been part of the strap attached to a horn as in the Weyersberg mark from the 1630 era. This does not explain the rest of the strike mark which I cannot decipher...could it be two strike marks?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by fernando; 20th October 2017 at 03:40 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote