View Single Post
Old 19th October 2017, 03:03 PM   #187
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Old 30th November 2011, 12:51 AM #216

Posted by:
TVV

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you for posting this here Teodor, and I really appreciate having these various examples of markings added to this thread.
The status of the Genoa marking as an indicator of quality on trade blades which travelled widely through many cultures trade networks has been long established. In earlier times the familiar sickle marks (dentated half circles) became associated with Genoa as the origin of the blades bearing them.
This was primarily due to the fact that the name Genoa was often placed between these double arcs...it seems actually the arcs were more of a guild related symbol and blades from a number of North Italian centers carried them. Genoa was primarily the port of departure.

These blades and thier markings profoundly influenced other blade making centers such as Styrian and later becoming the well known 'gurda' markings of blades in the Caucusus. Solingen often used them along with other marks and symbols. These double marked 'Genoa' names are seen on usually East European sabre blades, which often entered Arabian trade routes and were highly favored. In this case, these are clearly native applied on a well worn trade blade, but reflecting the long standing admiration for blades carrying this famed trade center's name. (Quote)

Thank you Jim. The blade as far as I know (since it is not in my possession) does not have any other markings. Could it have been made with no markings initially, if we are to assume that the markings were applied at a later stage, or is it possible that this is a native blade as well, for example from the Caucasus?

Teodor

Last edited by fernando; 20th October 2017 at 03:09 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote