View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2018, 02:35 AM   #32
A. G. Maisey

Why should a discussion group that relates to current manufacture of ethnographic weaponry be restricted to forging?

When we forge, we only create a forging that the finished blade will emerge from, most of the time and effort goes into the bench work, not the work on an anvil.

Forging only relates to the blade, the creation of the complete object involves skills other than blade work.

Perhaps consideration could be given to a division (if indeed one is needed) of current era work and historical work.

Personally I see this as more relevant to the study of weaponry using the ethnographic approach than a division based upon countries or geographically limited groups.

Consider this:- I have made a number of culturally correct Javanese keris, only one of those keris was made in Solo, Jawa Tengah, Indonesia, of the others, I forged one in Kampung Komplang, Solo, but carved it in Australia, all the rest were completely made in Australia.

We now live in a global village, old boundaries may be relevant in the context of time, but those old boundaries are no longer so relevant in the context of right now, today.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 2nd August 2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: clarity
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote