View Single Post
Old 24th February 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Stephen,
Always interesting things you post! Without researching and going just by impressions, I would be inclined to think this is another example of influences diffused via trade routes. Clearly there are influences that reflect kaskaras of Sudanese regions, rather than the Saharan takouba, though I agree, the takouba blades typically do have the rounded tip for slashing. The crudely fashioned crossguard is heavily shaped in kaskara style and most important, seems of brass....something unusual that does occur on some kaskaras, with reasons somewhat debated.
In this case, the raised medial ridge and blade overall to me resemble the Maasai seme' blades, south into Kenya.

The hilt style has basic resemblances to Central/West African hilt styles, though the cylindrical pommel is unusual. The braided leather work agreed does seem to parallel a number of regions, the scabbard definitely reflecting Nilotic characteristic, with the crocodile hide section.

My personal opinion on these crocodile hide applications have to do with discussions and research regarding both totemic and social symbolism in Sudanese regions to the south and west, and possible associations to slave commerce following routes into the south.

This may account for the unusual combinations of incongruent components here, as always reflecting fascinating subjects for ethnographic detective work and often, in my case, speculation.

Keep 'em comin' Stephen !!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote