View Single Post
Old 17th February 2020, 02:00 PM   #9
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hullo Xasterix:

Again, thank you for the clarification. The designation "katana" has generated some discussion previously. Do you know the origin of this term in relation to the sword above? Can you also expand upon the "different classifications of Northern Luzon bolos, each with their own origin-area, handling nuances, and unique features."

Attached are some pictures from the Macau Exhibition and the descriptions for each one in the associated catalog. Can you comment on the provenance/naming for each of these? In the catalog the first one was attributed to Southern Luzon (Batangas), the second to Northern Luzon, and the third was attributed also to Batangas (clearly incorrect--the hilt is Ilocano). The first two have chisel-ground edges.
[/size][/font]Regards,

Ian

* On further consideration, I would say this one is also Northern Luzon. The hilt is typical of Tinguian knives and the blade shows the small cut-out feature adjacent to the hilt that is seen commonly on Tinguian knives.

The figural hilt on the last one is definitely Ilocano in origin, probably from Ilocos Sur, and is termed sinan-kapitan or Antonio Luna according to migueldiaz. Antonio Luna was an Ilocano hero of the Philippine Revolution.
Hi Sir Ian. Apologies if I cannot answer in full, as some of the info you've requested is being kept confidential, for the reason that it may be published in a future book or study. I'll answer in a general sense, to strike a middle ground, but again, apologies if I cannot go into the specifics.

The samples which can support my claim are, unfortunately, also confidential and cannot be uploaded, but I'll at least mention the number and dates of the samples.

The Luzon Tabaks (210 and 211) are from Central Luzon, not Northern. At least 5 samples provenanced from that Central Luzon area- dated 1901, 1916, 1940, 1980s, and 2000s (with additional samples up to present-day) - exhibit similarities in blade profile, blade grind, scabbard, and hilt / scabbard patterns. Northern Luzon does not make chisel-ground blades.

While 212 exhibits a figural that can be found in Ilocos Sur, its blade features are not consistent with the blunt bolo type from that area. 212 is a katana. There are at least 4 pieces (2 of them katanas) that have similar figurals. By conjecture, either an Ilocos-made figural was married to a katana blade, or the artisans in Pampanga are also able to make figurals.

As to why it's called a katana, there are 2 reasons for that. The general reason, and one easily believable and practical- is that it DOES look like a katana because of its blunt tip.

Last edited by xasterix; 17th February 2020 at 02:24 PM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote