View Single Post
Old 16th February 2020, 12:22 PM   #7
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Leif:

You recently linked this thread in discussing another Apalit knife. I'm sorry I did not respond to your initial post--better late than never I guess.

Thank you for posting this example of a tabak with an Apalit hilt. I have not seen such a combination before, and I associate the tabak more with Ilokano examples, sometimes with a sinan kapitan hilt (the head of a guy in a military cap). This same blade style is seen in a Negrito weapon form that Fox* labeled as a katana and which he says was used for combat.

Very interesting mix of styles on your knife.

Ian.

* Fox, R.B. The Pinatubo Negritos: Their useful plants and material culture. Philippine Journal of Science 81: 260–361, 1952. [For a transcription of the text and copies of the figures, see here.]
Hullo sir Ian =) We in Luzon define 'tabak' as a general combat blade. This is a thoroughly Apalit-provenanced piece (not a mixed one), which Fox correctly classified as 'katana'. The one you mentioned with a figural comes from somewhere else. There are actually different classifications for Northern Luzon blunt bolos, each with their own origin-area, handling nuances, and unique features
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote