View Single Post
Old 17th February 2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

[QUOTE=katana]Salaams Ibrahiim,
interesting blades ..... but this item caught my eye (ringed in the picture) ....any ideas to what it is called ....perhaps just a fantasy piece but does seem functional.

Kind Regards David

Salaams katana; Well spotted! I didnt even notice that ! Ok well ~ It looks like a nail. A spiggot? There is a peculiar nail that was used in Oman an other Islamic spheres which was just that.. with a twist... They were Monumental talismanic spikes often decorated in geometry and sometimes silver adorned/perhaps gold... I have one which is fairly austere in iron only ... The idea being that as Iron was believed to attract evil that by hammering one into the wall near your front door the talisman would protect the house from evil spirits, djinns, saars etc.
Whilst not exactly like this style the one in the foto could be related but I will have a look at it closely next time...see my nail below!

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

PHOTOS ; Shows Architectural Islamic Talismanic Nail 7 inch long x half inch square with holes cut right through in each side in 3 points down the shaft.. Thus to entrap any evil spirits.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 18th February 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote