View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Jussi M.

Default How did the keris-bug bit you?

Greetings,

it just occurred to me that we have here a vast international community and it would be interesting to hear how everyone of you got started with the keris.

IŽll begin as I begun this thread. It went something like this: Ever since being a little boy I have been fascinated by bladed weaponry and was taught how to use the puukko (Finnish tool knife) as a little boy by my late grandfather. It was about the same time in my early childhood that I remember browsing some old colour pictured encyclopedia of SE Asia belonging to my grandmother and seeing a fascinating full size picture of a chiseled Javanese(?) warrior wearing a sarong and a keris tucked under a sash. There was also a four color picture of a waved keris and its sheath and both of those pictures were burnt right then and there to my soul right there in my grandparents living rooms floor. - I must of have not been much elder than 6 years old then at the time this took place. It just felt such a cool and exotic weapon being so different from all else IŽve ever seen.

So, how about you then - how did you got interested on the keris?

Best,

Jussi
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote