View Single Post
Old 16th November 2018, 03:24 PM   #27
Belgian1

Default Help to identifying a mysterious "1831 type sword"

Hello Ivan,
Tank you for these very interesting photos that allow more and more to attribute this sword to an Officer of the Army of the Sultanate of Afghanistan under the reign of Abdur Rahman Khan (1880-1901).
I posted this request for information in this "European" section because I thought it was a British sword for Service in Middle East British possessions. But in fact, this post should now be in a "more oriental" section because we are normally sure that is Afghan sword for high rank officer of Abdur Rahman Khan Army.
On my side I found these photos in an Internet Forum.

For sabers of officers of the Army of the Sultanate of Afghanistan, it seems that there are European blades with European engravings, European blades with Afghan engravings, and local blades with local engravings. I imagine that as everywhere, it was a question of prestige and financial means to possess one or the other provenance ...
(Sorry for any copyrighted photos, but this is for non-commercial information, and these swords do not have patented invention requirements.) But I still thank the authors.
Attached Images

Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote