View Single Post
Old 9th August 2011, 05:36 PM   #43
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The sharply angled hilt on this silver mounted sabre reminds me very much of certain Palestinian or Sinai Bedouin sabres, most of which I have seen are with crudely fashioned wood hilts and seem almost 'shashka' like. The heavy sabre trade blade seems like its been around a while, and interesting to see these most attractive mounts incorporating the Moroccan sa'if hilt. As such a hybrid it would be hard to accurately place in these more modern mounts, but definitely has some history, particularly the blade.
Interestingly the blockish and angled pommel cap, while of course aligned somewhat with the more refined design on most Persian shamshirs, has distinct affinity to certain early (c.1790s) British cavalry sabres. These in turn derived from a number of European 'hussar' sabres in use for considerable time before.

By propensity of style this sabre might be considered a Maghrebi anomaly, however it seems more likely from Arabian regions congruent to or with perhaps intertribal contact with these Bedouin groups in the areas mentioned.

Regarding the intriguing broadsword on the pommel cap, the Saudi Arabian emblem with Dhul'fiqar (I hope I spelled that correctly) does represent the Sword of the Prophet with bifurcated point as typically seen. However the Broadsword (double edged) seen here does show a distinct ridge or fuller in the blade center, bisecting the blade. As I have been led to understand, the translation of Dhul' fiqar is literally 'possessor of spines' (believed to be of course fullering) and perhaps here simply represents the 'cloven' or in two concept. In any case the mounts are of the type seen on the Sacred Swords in Istanbul, and very well may be intended to represent the Sword of the Prophet.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 9th August 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote