Thread: Unusual Shashka
View Single Post
Old 5th August 2021, 08:58 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT88 View Post
Good morning everyone, I have an unusual shashka here that I am trying to figure out. I believe the blade is an 1881 model but the fittings are very unusual. I've taken it to another group and many have said fake, but from what I can discern the ivory is authentic marine ivory. There is also aging/patina within the wire on the handle which would be incredibly difficult to do in a modern setting.

The group said the running wolf is in line with late 19th century West Georgian stamps.

The leather is clearly at least semi-new, it has some aging to it, but I'd say no more than 20 years.

I question if this is an older blade with modern fittings to be "faked" why use authentic ivory? It could still be considered a prized piece refitted with a family blade I suppose.

The style is called Skan, shown here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skan%27
A Georgian/Russian type of jewelry.

The 84 stamps mean the fittings are supposedly silver; however, I have not had the blade long enough to see any of the usual silver patina that comes with age. I do have my doubts about it being silver.

Thanks for the look!

Welcome to the forum, and thank you so very much for sharing the research and details you have already gained. Quite honestly this information on the SKAN work is most helpful so I've learned something here already.

This is area is by far not my specialty (as if I have one) but it has had my deep interest for many years. To try to gain some footing here I used probably one of the most valuable resources to date, which is by the very respected scholar on this topic, Kirill Rivkin,
" Arms and Armor of the Caucusus" , 2015.

This is an old blade indeed, and while it is suggested that those with the 'Passau wolf' are typically European imports marked as such for Caucasian use it is possible this may have been a Chechen or Daghestani product.
The Solingen blades with wolf similar are early 19th c. and on one of these with wolf are MN marks on either side of the wolf. (Rivkin fi.117)
On this the letters are without serifs and the crosses are absent.
* the Russian M1881 blades have a block ricasso.

These crosses are termed 'bees' and in group of four signify Jerusalem crosses from the Crusades.

Another blade more corresponding to the example you show is by W. Clauberg, Solingen maker of first half 19th c. On it is the Passau wolf with letters MH (as on yours) and the 'bees'.
I would be compelled to think yours is in this category early 19th c.

Too often people jump to the 'fake' term. There are so many mitigating factors and unknowns in weapons that such declarations without well supported proof or evidence against authenticity are in my opinion premature.

You well point out that the use of expensive material such as ivory, and in this elaborate type of metal work in a 'fake' would be rather specious.
Also, the '84' assay mark is something that would seem unusual on such an item.
The 84 is of course to signify genuine silver in the Russian zolotnick system. This system ceased in 1896 by decree of Czar Nicholas II who installed a different one.
This places your sword, as mounted, has a terminus ad quem of 1896, as per the Russian hallmark, which I doubt would exist on a 'fake', unless of course authentic mounts were used compositely, I think a tenuous proposition.

The styling of this shashka's mounts seems to be primarily Circassian, which was much favored by the Russian Imperial Convoy, as well as Russian nobles and high ranking officers, particularly those who actually served in the Caucusus. I would note that the combining of the 'skan'; the silver (hallmarked) and the niello (as applied to silver) suggest this shashka may have been made in St. Petersburg from c.1870s-1905 in this type case.

The use of heirloom blades was quite common in Russia, and this blade may well have been either captured, or perhaps given to a Russian officer in the Caucusus......possibly even from the Murid Wars of mid 19th c.
The use of ivory is more well known on kindjhal hilts, so perhaps the use of it here corresponds to favoring those popular weapons.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 5th August 2021 at 09:33 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote