View Single Post
Old 25th June 2007, 09:37 PM   #14
kai

Hello Tim,

Quote:
I do wonder on the tang repair? what ever it is it is really quite off centre, perhaps the tang does not go in the centre of the handle?
The repair is pretty off centre and also shorter than I've seen before - one could guess that the tang wasn't completely broken. Short of x-raying your piece, you'll only know the construction for sure when you remove the hilt though (and you'd need to destroy the bindings to do so).

Here are 2 examples showing the usual repair method nicely:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...2&postcount=14
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...7&postcount=25

Quote:
I know I am new to these particular weapons but with respect, I am also unsure there was ever anything at the base of the handle. Here the rust on the clamps and most of all the patina of the wood from handling with no other ring marks seem to suggest it has been bare wood for some considerable time.
Not necessarily: Often this was merely a thin sheet of silver rather than a sturdy ferrule.

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that this weapon is wide spread including Moro land Philippines and Sulu Islands, parts of Borneo, and Malaya {Malaysia} The British had say in some of these areas. I know pieces do move around.
Your's is a fairly typical Moro example. These also show up from Malaysia and Indonesia, especially where seafaring Moro (mainly Tausug) had extensive trade contacts (including permanent settlements): Borneo, eastern Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula, especially the Straits area. Probably initially based on Moro designs, keris sundang were also produced locally in these areas but these tend to show deviating features.

Given the widespread collecting habits in the UK, this could have as likely originated from an US source rather than being acquired from areas formerly administrated by the British, I guess.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote