View Single Post
Old 17th August 2010, 09:31 PM   #68
ganjawulung

@Aji, Thanks for reminding me on the name of this hilt,

I am still tracing the original name of this kind of hilt, that you mentioned in another thread as "gana hilt". It could be possible that your information is correct, if we consider that the literaly meaning of "gana" is more or less, "a flock of lower grade of gods, or demigods which once believed to be Shiwa's follower, headed by ganesha..." according to PJ Zoetmulder & SO Robson...

As I mentioned another name, "pagaralam hilt" of course, if we consider the locality. It is more "geographical name", as my Sumatran friend called this type of hilt.

Pagaralam itself, is a semi-autonomous region in South Sumatra -- Between Palembang (South Sumatra) and Padang (West Sumatra). More precisely, Pagaralam is an 636.000 square meter autonomous region of Lahat, with a population of about 119.000 people. It consists of five districts: Dempo Selatan (or South Dempo), Dempo Tengah (Central Dempo), Dempo Utara (North Dempo), Pagaralam Selatan (South Pagaralam) and Pagaralam Utara (North Pagaralam).

This special South Sumatran region at the foot of Mt Dempo has a couple of archaeological sites, with more than 26 menhir sites (megalithicum sites), some sites of palaeolithical statues and at least 33 natural water falls... (according to a certain source).

Anyway, thanks a lot Aji, for your very useful info...

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 17th August 2010 at 09:49 PM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote