View Single Post
Old 14th January 2014, 05:25 PM   #172
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasanna Weerakkody
The old post seem to be dragging on once again but with the same old (what I thought was now a long dead) argument. I think I would not even try to convince Mr. Balooshi as he is fixed on his idea that the Kasthana pommel is Makara despite all the evidence presented and Mr. Balooshi seems totally unable to even examine and see objectively the points presented. Balooshi It would be good if you would kindly go through the thread again. most of these points you still throw around have been answered before.

Being from Sri Lanka- the Kasthana is part of my living heritage. I understand it standing within the culture which originated it and still survive. I see the Sinhala Makara and Lion and other mythical beasts in that context - there is no mistake the pommel is of a Lion head. It is also backed by the surviving sword lore and is even mentioned in ancient craft manuals like the “Vyjayantha thanthra” The Kasthana is known as the Lion hilted sword. There is not even a shard of doubt about the identity of the beast on the pommel.

As I said earlier there are Makara and Serapendiya figures depicted on other parts of the Kasthana hilt but the pommel is always a Lion head.

If you need to drag along this further may be you should look at depictions of Makara and Lion in Sinhala motifs instead of regional as there are some differences. Regional references don’t always tally up with Sinhala traditional art and motifs. bringing in a mixed hodge-podge of all sorts of creatures that don’t have a place in a Sinhala context is only adding to the confusion.

As I mentioned before there are two main classes of Kasthana swords- the earlier dated Kasthana with good blades and Silver, metal, Horn or wooden hilts were true fighting weapons. I had listed historic texts that document use of Kasthana swords in battle dating back to mid 16th Century. (Balooshi-please go back and check that). The Golden hilts with excessive jewels with the “dog-faced” Lion hilts and inferior blades were mostly just presentation swords used by Sinhala Mudelliers and Arachchis under Dutch and British administrations.

The religious Iconography used is as auspicious symbols to bring luck and protection to the warrior- Theravada Buddhism does not use weapons as religious Icons.

No new material seem to be forthcoming and only old ideas are being re-shuffled. It is funny that everyone else is able to identify Lions from Makara heads with the exception of Mr. Balooshi.

Salaams Prasanna Weerakkody,

Sir, I have been through the thread... I wrote most of it. You may think its funny...or that no new material is being offered. You could consider reflecting that the thread is dragging on... or that everyone else thinks the subject hilt depicts a lion...(strange that ... as there is only one other person in that debate)...If you aren't interested or perhaps you are bored what can I do about that? I certainly will not give up. I like the subject! Its interesting. I learn a lot as we proceed.

All that you have done is to pontificate "that because you say its a lion it must be a lion". It's not. Its a Makara. I have shown that in several recent posts ..see above. I have even listed reasons for ease of understanding and supported my reasoning with pictures.

New detail has emerged .. Anecdotal evidence from 1807 when the weapon was used as a military rank indicator.. and more logical evidence; historic, cultural, and traditional as well as religious. That is what this Forum is about.

If you do not wish to take part then it is entirely up to you...This is a Forum... you know what happens on Forums... ?

Being from Sri Lanka does not give you ownership of the Kastane...moreover it gives you the opportunity to debate this very little known sword on the hot anvil of this Forum and not Sir, to attempt to slur the efforts of others.

It is extremely bad form to suggest that I may have not the respect because I am not Sri Lankan and to suggest that by speaking to me in the 3rd person that everyone else is able to identify the lion except me is entirely without merit and very insulting.

You are mistaken about the Makara Hilt. Its not a Lion. I just proved it. See my last few posts.

Your point about ancient or older blades is noted ... but you cant just talk about them... It has to be looked at, examined and debated. It wouldn't surprise me if they were better blades.. but on this show... You have to practically dig the old body up with the original sword in his hand and a diagram in triplicate of the design signed by the maker! before it can be accepted beyond doubt.

No one else addresses me as Balooshi here... Kindly use my first name; Ibrahiim.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote