Thread: Saxon Arms
View Single Post
Old 28th September 2022, 11:58 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think I found which reference you mean. I was going through Norman (1980) looking through the pommels chapter for anything described as Saxon, as well as indexes but found nothing with that specific designation.
I found the book "Die Schwerter und Schwertknaufe der Sammlung Carl van Schwerzbac-Bregenz" by Dr. R.Forrers, Leipzig, 1905.

E. Oakeshott "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" (1964) is also mentioned in which the various types of sword pommels he lists in his alphabetically categorized typology of them is pretty thoroughly represented. I found no mention however of any specified as Saxon.

It seems I have seen the term Saxon used on occasion on examples in auctions etc. but cannot recall specifics. I have seen the term often used for military swords of the state of Saxony origins. Searching online mostly the term is used for numerous reproduction models from well known producers.
Looking forward to examples of swords of antiquity described as Saxon from references. We never stop learning
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote