View Single Post
Old 19th February 2017, 07:11 PM   #13
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksmithingWitch
If its not particularly historically important ive been toying with the idea of having a gunsmith putting the lock and barrel onto a new stock and making it serviceable again, as you say this may have been done before at a much earlier time
I am confused here. Why would you replace the stock to make the item fireable? The important part (if you plan to shoot it) is the barrel. However if the barrel is in good order, why ruin a beautiful and interesting gun, simply so you can shoot it. I have over the years safely shot many old and antique weapons, none of which have had a new barrel, or a liner to the old one.
BUT first have a COMPETENT Gunsmith check the barrel inside and out before you fire it. Also do not be tempted to use modern nitro powder as the burning characteristics are VERY different from Black Powder. Probably you are aware of this already, but a word of caution is never out of place.
One final comment......What a shame to ruin a very nice and unusual piece......but it is yours to do with what you wish I guess.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote