View Single Post
Old 18th August 2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Green

Default what mandau is this?

Hi;

Sorry for these seemingly basic questions about mandaus

1) Can one determine where a mandou comes from based on decoration and shape of the hilts eg, Serawak orang Ulu? Iban? etc? Kalimantan ?

2) Can one determine if a mandau is made for ceremonial dancing or mainly utilised for head hunting (in case of old antique mandaus)

3) It has been explained that mandaus that have been used for headhunting in the old days (19th century /older) are marked with 'notches' at the base near the hilt? can anyone show examples of this.

I have here a mandau (not a particulary good one) which has a typical concave and convex blade sides , a scabbard that looks quite old with varnish peeled off and showed some patina but I guess was made in mid 20th century based on the plastic ropes with green tassels attached. (may have been later addition though). The hilt is carved with elephant trunk motif. Can anyone identify where is this likely made?

There are 4 notches at the base of the hilt , I don't presume these are notches of heads taken as they look too well made and I guess they are merely another form of decoration.
Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote