View Single Post
Old 24th March 2005, 08:25 AM   #8
Conogre

Nice find, Spunger, and congrats!
The bands appear to be silver, and if so will clean easily with some decent silver polish (I use Metal Glo, made of aluminum oxide and non-abrasive) if so desired.....iron often photographs with a brownish hue in the "patina" **grin**.
To the best of my knowledge, the panabas is actually a farming tool used much like a scythe or sickle and that just happens to be very effective for removing heads (and other body parts) and thus was often used as a weapon.
I've got a contemprary piece that is almost identical, the same measurements and weight, with a blade actually thicker than in other, longer specimens that I've seen, to the point that I suspect it's an extremely localized form from one particular tribe.
Yours, of course, has some real age to it, but the brass tack repairs on the silver would seem to indicate that it was valued enough to keep and improve upon, much like a kris, making me suspect that it's seen actual combat and is not JUST a farm implement, which is about as close to a "fighting panabas" as you can get.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote