Thread: Jambiya plastic
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams David ~ Excellent summary thank you.

The essence of the debate is in the understanding of the living breathing life of an in use ethnographic weapon whereas in some cultures there are many pieces that are dead ( though very collectible they fell from use a long time ago); In this part of the world Oman, Yemen, Saudia and other countries in Arabia they are very much alive, thus, the obvious on going upgrades and embelishments which occur are entirely correct and reasonable. In Oman etc there is, in addition, a demand for absolutely brand new khanjars and they in turn will become respected antiques in the future. The analogy is ~ why sit on an old chair when you can have a new one? Although simple, that is in effect, the mindset of some clients (usually VIP) that insist on the new weapon. It has always been like that. Therein is the reason that workshops today resemble almost exactly workshops of old; using traditional methods and the old tools.

In fact; there is a royal decree protecting the style of Omani Khanjars so that no craftsmen are allowed to add a non original design thus preserving the traditional style. Interestingly only one Khanjar / Omani Jewellery maker ever signed his work (the master of Sulaif). Though at the time he did not realise it ... this was a form of early copyright but now it is to be formalised.

It may come as a surprise that the commission on copyright for Oman has decided that from the not too distant future any item made here must be stamped. Whilst that is a hundred years too late (in many cases) it will in future give an official benchmark datestamp for the classic weapons of Oman.

In respect of the original substance at thread; You will see from my previous post that given the Khanjar in question I would advise retaining the out of area blade but consider a replacement to the handle that appears to be plastic and damaged by fire. My thought would be to add a matching geometric pattern UAE style of belt to enhance the originality of the weapon making it wearable and to give it a general spruce and polish up.

It is similar advice I give many times to clients walking in with damaged Khanjars.. Shukran

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote