View Single Post
Old 20th November 2022, 09:12 AM   #4
M ELEY

Hello Jim. I do recall discussing these interesting briquet patterns, including ones with a small anchor stamp. The French were indeed the first to embrace naval cutlasses with a solid brass hilt and Gilkerson (Boarder's Away, my 'bible' and go-to always!) has covered them nicely, showing their development. Likewise, regarding the briguet, which came directly from these French 'sea' patterns, they probably would have ben well-received in desparate times to arm volunteers against invasion. The reason the brass hilts were popular on sea swords was for their anti-rust properties in the briney salt air.

Another deductive thought was that most naval hangers were also popular/carried by infantrymen, so could the briquet (being an infantry-type) make the same crossover to naval usage? I've always wondered about this. If so, I'd wager it would only have been in the scenario you proposed (desparate measures for voluntary forces or militias or merchant-type craft). Still, I know there doesn't appear to be any record to such use in Britain unless someone out there can enlighten us!?

Didn't we also definitely determine that there were briquets (not the French pre-naval brass gripped types, but actual briquets!) with the anchor stamp? Perhaps my memory has become cloudy again!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote