View Single Post
Old 18th February 2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While this is a grim discussion, and surprising given the postures toward cruelty toward animals, I think the 'lore' surrounding this katar is of course apocryphal. We know that these kinds of stories in much of legend and tradition are embellished and often full of hyperbole and allegory, and though the physiology of a penetrating blow to the temple is explained...……...the use of a katar in this deed is not.

Clearly the mahout is typically mounted atop the elephant in the first place so that would explain how he might have been in position to administer the fatal blow...…..but with an ankus.....NOT a katar. The ankus is of course hafted and allows the extension to do this...…...to do this with a katar would be of course almost superhuman...…...befitting the tale with this katar.

My further question would be, why would any mahout be mounted on an elephant that evidenced the signals of musth? While any elephant might ' go berserk' it is the males who experience this periodic circumstance, and it it quite outwardly apparent from secretions from glands situated in the temple areas (ironically) often running down the head.

It would seem that any mahout, whose very purpose is managing these animals, would be aware of the musth and rut situations and either isolate or avoid use of elephants in these. Thus the destruction of one of these remarkable animals could have been avoided.

For anyone interested in learning more about the amazing character of these powerful but typically gentle animals, read "The Sacred Elephant" (I forgot the author).

On an aside...............very nice katar of course!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote