Thread: Rubens hunter
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:10 AM   #13
Raf

Sorry to labour the point . If we are going to assume the diagonal line across the lock plate is an external mainspring then in both miquelet and toe locks the mainspring starts being roughly horizontal , that is parallel with the barrel . Or in some migulet's slightly up hill . In the Minqulet since the spring acts on the rear of the cock at full cock it points either downhill or roughly horizontal . in a toe lock at full cock the mainspring points uphill which I think is what is shown in the painting . Yes, the miquelet shown is Albanian but the principles the same . Anyway , to help people make up their own mind here are a couple of aqujetas ; sorry I have lost the source of the painting but I think its Spanish and the other possible candidates which are italian locks .

For clarification the aqujeta was the Spanish version of the Italian toe lock or romanlock and may have been introduced from Italy. The defining characteristic of the aqujeta is the dog catch behind the cock used to resolve the half cock problem. The cock is pulled back beyond the full cock position and the dog catch pushed forward to engage with the cock . Pulling the cock backwards slightly automatically disengages the catch and the cock drops onto the horizontally moving full cock sear which engages with the rear foot of the cock .
Attached Images

Last edited by Raf; 3rd July 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote