View Single Post
Old 10th August 2017, 09:57 AM   #17
A. G. Maisey

Both these keris have a core Johan, and it is very clear.

The easiest place to see it in both keris is in the wadidang, the wide curve at the blade base, the core is the narrow black border between the blade edge and the start of the pamor.

Joe, keris were made in Madura right through into the 1920's at least, I was given one with a broken blade that had been made in Madura, and bought in Malang not long before the Japanese occupation. It is a really terrible keris, but it is a keris

In Solo during the 1920's, and I believe through into the 1930's, the court "empu" was M.Ng. Wirasukadgo. I have not seen any record of him being created empu, but in 1923 his rank was Abdi Dalem Mantri Pandhe. I don't know for sure, but I do not believe that anybody followed him.

Keris and other weapon production was banned by the Japanese.

There was some spasmodic production during the 1950's and 1960's, Empu Suparman had made perhaps two keris before he began to make seriously at the end of the 1970's, and during this early period, he had repaired and altered many keris.

In Jogja a craftsman with the formal name of Bp. Prawirodihardjo produced keris and other related items for the keris trade. He used genuine good quality old keris and etc as his models. His family had been in this business for a number of generations. He was known in the keris trade but invisible outside the keris trade, his clients were dealers. He passed away a number of years ago and he was the last of his line.

Apart from Empu Suparman, and Bp. Prawirodihardjo I have been told that there were always a few ordinary smiths in Central Jawa who were able to produce a keris blade, I believe most of these people were to be found around Koripan and Godean, and in a village near Boyolali that I have forgotten the name of.

The revival of keris culture began with Dietrich Drescher and Djeno Harumbrojo in 1972, but it had never really died.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote