View Single Post
Old 10th August 2017, 04:57 AM   #15
Bejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Joe, this one with some certainty could be the same maker or workshop. It's obviously unfinished.

With 38,5 a quite sturdy blade, my feeling ist East Java. It's surely not Magetan, yet resembles one in the hand, and Magetan had Yogya roots.

Pre- or after WWII? I don't know. Are there other workshops in East Java besides Magetan, where Keris making didn't stop after WWII? Where?
Hello Gustav,

Thank you for the photos. Yes, both of the keris have some custom similarities. Maybe they came from the same besalen. My keris is only 36.5 cm. I have tried to look for information in books I have, but they don't give any information about Empu Keris in East Java after WW2. The closest timeline I read in book (Wangkingan Kebo Ijo) stated that in Pakubowono 9 time, many keris maker in east Java and Madura have stopped doing keris work.

Hello A. G. Maisey,

Thank you for your opinion. At first I thought this keris as a Surakarta Keris. But, after I read your opinion this keris, maybe Mageti is one of the option we have. Also, I have tried to contact the seller of my keris. He told me that the keris was bought from a village in Magetan. The previous owner got this keris from his parents. Although there is not 100% guarantee that this keris is created in Magetan, but he got the keris there.

Thank you,

Best regards,

Joe
Bejo is offline   Reply With Quote