View Single Post
Old 9th August 2017, 11:13 PM   #13
Gustav

Alan, I bought that Keris about 3 years ago in Netherlands, no information came with it.

On Keris made by Empu Paku Rodji there is a small stupa-like carving at the end of Pesi, and, as I understand, that carving is tradition of Magetan. I don't know, if it was done on ALL kerisses, and my Keris is nothing somebody would have been proud to have made it. It's obviously unfinished, and that Greneng (and other Ricikan) does mean it wasn't made for selling it to another "Empu" to do the Garapan. Perhaps some deviation from a standard (speak mistake) was just to big.

Also, from the example I have seen, Tikel Alis on a Magetan Keris should generally be narrower.

Here is what Jasper/Mas Pirngadie wrote about Magetan in/shortly before 1930. It's not much, Empu Ki Guno and Mustofo are mentioned, Ki Guno as somebody, who did good Pamor forging, and subsequent downfall of Pamor forging (small quantity of lesser quality Pamor material used, irregular Pamor layers):

Quote:
"In Magetan stond de sedert lang overleden empoe Kjai Goeno bekend als iemand, die krissen met veel pamor strepen wist te smeden, terwijl in diezelfde afdeeling in de dessa Semen zekere Moestopo woonde, die de pamor smeedkunst beoefende en het z.g pamor (vermoedelijk de weinig nikkelhoudende ijzersoorten) in een Chineesche toko kocht voor f 2.50 per katie. Zoodanig was de pamorsmeedkunst in Magetan verbasterd, dat de pamormotieven of uit slechts heel weinig strepen bestonden (door het gebruik van weinig nikkelhoudend ijzer in zeer kleine hoeveelheid), of toevallig ontstaan waren zonder methodische rangschikking van de grondstof."

Last edited by Gustav; 10th August 2017 at 12:10 AM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote