View Single Post
Old 1st June 2015, 10:22 AM   #12
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Perhaps someone could spell out the real differences between the two. I gather that "kelengan" has slightly different meaning depending upon where in Indonesia the word is used. I felt comfortable calling this pamor sanak, but perhaps i have misunderstood the term.
I found this from a post by Marto Suwignyo back in 2005:
Pamor:- the word "sanak" mean "relation" or "relative" so if we say "pamor sanak" we mean the pamor material all related and not mixed with material that not iron. The word "pamor" mean "blend" or "mix". So pamor sanak make from all iron, just different kind of iron some white iron, some dark iron. Pamor keleng really not quite right. The word "keleng" mean "black". Really is no pamor keleng, but is Mpu Keleng who tradition tell us from Pajajaran.Also is kelengan iron . This iron very black and have a very rough open grain . It is not good iron. Also in Malaysia people call a black keris, " keris kelengan ", but in Jawa we call keris like this "pangawak waja".
According to the book Keris Jawa (pages 411 & 412), pamor keleng means "without pamor" and pamor sanak "pamor with a colour mainly looking like iron". According to the EK, pamor sanak looks indistinct because the pamor materials is of low quality (another type of iron with a low nickel contents?).
I attach the pic of a blade with some similarities with the blade from Rick but with a simpler dapur and attributed to East Sumatra (any comment will be welcome). The scabbard was recently made and the blade looks shiny after cleaning in vinegar.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote