View Single Post
Old 27th August 2017, 10:57 PM   #60
A. G. Maisey

I know I dubbed the feature I have in mind "Gustav's Discovery", or "element" or "whatever", and I did that for ease of identification. If anybody wishes to call this specific feature something else, it is not any sort of a problem to me.

However, if we look closely at "Gustav's Element" (for want of a better name) what we find is that there is not just one single element to consider. I think Gustav called it a "tri-partite" element at one point, but that "tri-partite" element has a number of forms that may or may not be related.

The form shown in Post #26, is, I believe, the oldest example shown (gold kinatah), and is a distinct example that shows detail and style that I believe is the most pure of the examples shown, "pure" in the sense that an attempt seems to have been made to represent in iron a form that might be able to be identified elsewhere:- note the tiny spike from the root of the central curved spike, something like this cannot be accidental, it must be able to be interpreted, a matching form in another medium must exist.

However, if we look at the other examples it seems to me that we could be looking at a different representation of something, in the other couple of examples shown in this original thread, and in other examples that I have seen, the same distinct statement that we can see in the Post #26 example does not exist. By a very large stretch of imagination it might exist, or it might be a distillation, or a corruption, or something else entirely.

For example, look at the "tri-partite element" in Post #31. This is a Bali keris. Anybody who has done even the smallest amount of reading on Balinese culture and society will be aware of the importance of the number 3 in Bali. To quote Murni & Copeland :- "everything comes in threes in Bali".

The "tri-partite" element in a Bali keris is open to any number of possible interpretations. As Dr. David suggested:-

"This is just a thought, and allowing that nothing is cast in stone when 'reading' a keris, is it possible that the feature identified in Gustav's examples is a representation of Siwa's trisula and hence a continuation of the Shivatic notation."

This idea is totally defensible and fits perfectly, for the form shown in this Bali keris. The keris itself is an icon of Siwa, why not put another icon of Siwa into the enhancements on a keris? It is a good idea, but it needs some sort of confirmation, and speaking only for myself, I have not encountered that confirmation, even though I could mount a very good logical argument to support the "good idea".

But does this element in the Bali keris look like the element in the keris with kinatah? To my eye it does not. There are any number of three part elements in a keris, but the original as shown in Post #26 is quite unique and distinct.

This form in Post #26 is the form that needs to be addressed:- solve this riddle and then it is possible to look at later variations of the "tri-partite" form and consider if we are looking at a derivation of the original, a corruption of the original, or something else entirely.

We need to identify the form of the tripartite element shown on the keris with gold kinatah.

Then we have a beginning.

Everything else comes later.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote