Thread: TBOLI KAMPILAN
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020, 09:00 AM   #10
tanaruz

Default TBOLI KAMPILAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbel
Thank you for the additional photos and background. He's a nice old piece, well-used and well-loved.

I'm always curious about the journeys of these Tboli swords. Can you please mention where your friend believes his father was during WWII? Are they Tboli?

While their territory sometimes appeared on maps and locals knew of their existence, the Tboli people remained quite remote and relatively unknown until well into the late 1950's-early 1960's. Amongst the other groups in the area - including the coastal Moros - trade was common, as well as war and intermarriage. Being able to pinpoint the location of a piece like this during WWII (or before) would be interesting.

Thank you.
Hi Craig,

Was able to get more info regarding this blade. The latest previous owner (from which I bought the kampilan) was the 4th person to have owned the piece. Lets identify him as # 4. Was able to call and talk to the seller who sold him the blade (#3) and I was informed that the blade came from his father (#2) who was a soldier fighting the Japanese in WW2. The It was a heirloom piece that came from his (#2) father (#1) who was once a Datu of the T'boli tribe in South Cotabato.

The blade, however, was originally owned by a more older person than #1, also a Datu and the father of #1.

The blade originally came from the T'boli tribe (Lake Sebu area).
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote