View Single Post
Old 30th August 2017, 07:48 PM   #10
kronckew

i was an american Coast Guard officer, took 3 months training in search and rescue and marine safety at the USG facility at yorktown, drove thru the battlefield every day morning and evening, you could feel the presence. especially if it was a tad foggy. i also spent a lot of time crtawling all over it and the remaining fortifications when i could get away from the wife (she was british). the war didn't finish until 4 years after yorktown, so they still needed supplies of weapons. it took a while after yorktown for them to figure out that it was costing them a fortune, and that they'd never win, they finally bit the bullet and pulled out. took the war of 1812 for them to finally get the message tho. they still thought they could whup us in new orleans with the finest troops in europe that had just defeated nappy.

after yorktown, i then went to NOLA where i spent 3 years as a marine inspector at the USCG marine safety office there. spent a few days roaming over the chalmette battle field there where we (and some more frenchies) whupped the brits again in newyears 1814/15, due to communications lag, it was fought actually AFTER the war ended... it may have wended it's way down to there as well.

however, i'll think of this sword as my 'yorktown' sword.

Last edited by kronckew; 30th August 2017 at 08:03 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote