View Single Post
Old 9th September 2006, 07:18 PM   #6
katana

Hi Bill,
after following the link provided by DD ...there was a concern regarding this method.....

'there is a chance that metal cleaned this way may be subject to hydrogen embrittlement. This can happen in many processes such as electroplating or welding. It should not be a problem unless you are cleaning hardened steel such as saw blades, knives, or chisels. If you are and you intend to use the item (rather than simply displaying it) you may want to try baking the part in an oven, I've heard of using temperatures from 300°F to 440°F (150°C to 225°C) for several hours.'

Apparently hydrogen atoms 'get into' the steel structure and weakens it....
HOWEVER.....there is the possibility that this only occurs when electro-plating.
I have checked several websites regarding this method of rust removal...a 'sword' site and a site that deals with old tool collecting....BOTH state that this is a SAFE method.........bearing in mind that we are talking 'hardened steels in both of these sites.......it seems that 'hydrogen embrittlement' would be either unlikely or of little consequence.....

But I am no metallurgist....
katana is offline   Reply With Quote