View Single Post
Old 9th January 2023, 11:06 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a remarkable Manchu saber, and as often the case, categorically seems 'liuyedao' but has that slight oxtail 'peak' near distal section of blade. The unusually austere suspension bar and mounts, as well as scabbard rings and throat are outstanding, and adds to the very 'solid' character of this sword.

The slight cant of the grip, the huanshou, seem to align with possible 'minority' character possibly Yunnan and it is tempting to note the similarity of the pommel to Tibetan so called 'ke tri' (trilobe) adding to that suggestion.

My exposure to Chinese swords is limited, but I wanted to add what I could, and as always, hope to prompt corrections or other observations that might add to what I think is well noted period of mid 19th c.

I agree that this is a high quality blade, and likely remounted in the Manchu period in 19th c. as it seems many were. I have an earlier 'willow leaf' blade which was remounted in these type mounts mid 19th c. as well so it seems quite a regular action.

The 'Boxer' period attribution is simply commonly assumed as this was a remarkably 'international' event in which many Chinese arms and souvenirs were brought out, which included items of much earlier periods.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote