View Single Post
Old 18th March 2024, 05:53 PM   #1
G. Mansfield

Default Seeking Help in Identifyling Keris

A few years ago I picked up a group of weapons at auction. The sole reason for purchasing was to win an African sword. The other two swords were from Indonesia. I think they may be worth finding more about. Here is one of them that I would like some help in identifying properly as I have very little knowledge on weapons from Southeast Asia.

What I do know…this keris was deaccessioned from the Valentine Museum in Richmond, Virginia. There is a red painted accession number on the ganja “15.5.17” presuming that it had entered the museum’s curation in 1915, so at least this old. There was no sheath included with it. The blade is wavy in form which I believe looks to be 9 luk. There is a nice pamor throughout, with some chips to the edges, especially near the point. Strong blade profile. The handle hardwood with 7 flat planar sides and with two carvings on the interior of the hilt. I have read that this type may be (Solo?) from Central Java or Surakarta and cecekan style and may have association with demon symbolism in the carvings? The mendaq and cuff are silver or silver alloy (Not tested). Dimensions: Blade: 14 ½” (36,3cm) Hilt & Balde: 18 ½” (47cm)

Is there a specific name for this type of Keris or attribution? I am not sure on age but the blade looks to be older. Not sure if it was remounted or not. It has been sitting in my curio for the past few years and I am eager to find out more about it. Any information would help and point me into a direction to learn more.

-Geoffrey
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote