View Single Post
Old 9th April 2019, 11:16 PM   #44
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Iain, I don't think we are too much off the same page, but thank you for reiterating. I thought what I had said was pretty much what you elucidated so clearly I agree. Actually going back to the medieval analogy, the very fact of owning a sword was a mark of prestige or status.

With the origins of the takouba, these details are not particularly clear to me, and probably a great percentage of those who study arms, but knowing what lengths you have taken to learn these answers, your work is anxiously looked forward to. It seems clear that blades were entering North Africa through various points, and from some antiquity. However the exact nature of the blades and how they were mounted is what is unclear. Obviously variations would occur locally across regions and with tribal preferences.

With the Manding dilemma, I think the point being made is that by and large, the Manding (various tribes) were primarily traders, not warriors....and in these capacities the swords, effectively embellished, were status oriented.
By the same token, the Omani swords (long hilt) were as described with the flimsy bladed dance versions...….similar merchants swords of distinction...were not intended as weapons of war. We have resounding evidence of this from numerous sources....however, with the long hilt sabres with such hilts, we know that they were worn in similar capacity to the Manding. While not expecting to use them in combat, just as with those of the Manding they 'could' be used. However, unless being attacked by raiding parties etc. the expectation of such 'opportune' use would be negligible.

The use of sound and serviceable European blades on these sabres, just as on the long hilt merchants versions of the dance swords, was based more on the renown of the European blade types as well as availability through the trade networks in which they were always present.

As far as open hilted swords (no guard), this condition is not a determining factor for a combat weapon, as it depends on the expected warfare manner. The shashka; yataghans; SE Asian daos etc etc. all are without guard, of course as these are not expected to be used in sword to sword combat.
The issue with the long hilt type Omani swords (as described by Demmin and Burton) is that the hilts are contrary to presumed manner of use.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote