View Single Post
Old 9th April 2019, 08:06 AM   #42
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Iain thank you for addressing these talking points, as it helps if we can arrive at common perception in consideration of them. As you have noted, lack of guard does not render any edged weapon non combat worthy, as in any such combative interaction often parry or defense was with shields etc.

In considering swords equated with prestige, rank, station etc. while not necessarily in accord with combat weapons, they are indeed often in the same or similar form with those that were. As I said earlier, at any time circumstances might call for these 'parade or status' type weapons to serve as weapons of opportunity and as required. Their functionality might be less than optimal, but we cannot presume that their use was discounted regardless.
Hi Jim,

I think we are still misunderstanding each other a little on this topic.

My point is not that so called parade or status weapons (usually highly embellished) can also serve as weapons.

Rather, normal, functional, swords often serve to denote the rank or social position of the bearer. A Medieval knight carried a sword, it was a sign of his position, this was not a parade weapon but still had a duel function of being both a weapon and a symbol of status. The takouba is much the same as is the Manding sabre. One role does not rule out the other. Simply put a sword which indicates a status is not necessarily a sword that differs from any other piece of the type. The sword form itself in the case of something like the takouba, was the status symbol in certain groups like the Tuareg, no parade versions needed.

Quote:
The origins of the takouba itself I would understand being unclear, and it seems even its range of use as indeterminate as the boundaries of the Tuareg or any of these tribes. I don't think there can be any question as to its use as a weapon, though as anywhere, the advent of firearms did have some effect by the 19th c.
The origins are rather more clear than previously thought, as this forms part of an upcoming publication I don't want to reveal too much, but perhaps sufficient to say even modern day Tuareg have a pretty good idea where it came from as confirmed with primary field research.

Last edited by Iain; 9th April 2019 at 08:49 AM.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote