View Single Post
Old 4th April 2019, 05:28 PM   #31
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
The routes operated a little differently, hajj caravans were organized from key cities such as Kano. This is more of a late 18th and early 19th century phenomenon. Prior to this typically a hajj was organized by a ruler who would take an entourage but was far less common for the average person.

It was typical for a notable figure such as a merchant or religious scholar to lead the caravan and typically this included stops in the main cities of the lands they passed through to acquire letters for safe conduct and to solicit alms.

This is not to say that some commerce didn't occur but there was some degree of reliance on charity as mentioned.

Thank you Iain, it is always good to get your perspective as I don't think anyone has studied the dynamics of these North African regions with the tenacity you have. I would understand the Hadj situation as being more a 'modern' matter (18th-19thc) and it makes sense that Hadj caravans would be guided by religious or notable figures. I had thought that the sale of personal items (brought intentionally for such purpose) would take place as well as seeking alms. Still, the point is the movement of often regional types of weapon into areas where they are not commonly known.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote