View Single Post
Old 15th September 2009, 07:24 PM   #6
erikscollectables

Default If you show yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
My past understanding was that the silver and gold types were used for court wear. The crowns on the hilt also signify court wear and thus ceremonial (for special occasions as well). I also understood that these came from Aceh (as well as Adni making the attribution to this on in particular).

I am not surprised that adjacent areas would have the same or similar types as well.

Would love to see yours.
Hi Battara,

In general it is said that golden crowns are for nobility (does not have to be royalty I think). So far I have not seen this supported in published text though. There are a few variations in crowns (double/triple - rounded edges/sharp edges - gold/gold with enemal/gold and suassa) and these have been described in old text. That has been discussed on the forum some time ago. As they are quite rare compared to regular rencong/sikin it is likely they were not for all "citizens" but only for a selected group - so nobility seems likely to me. Ceremonial use of weapons with crowns I am not to sure of. I have seen quite a few with original battle scars so it seems that use was not limited to ceremony only.

Regarding this type - totally covered in silver and also with crowns in silver I have no background information so far. Only the remark it is probably Gayo.

Here is my version:

- All silver and as far as I can see it has never been gilded.
- A few applications of suassa
- High quality carvings inlaid with green and black enemal
- Diamond inlaid on the back

Regards, Erik
Attached Images

Last edited by erikscollectables; 15th September 2009 at 07:35 PM.
erikscollectables is offline   Reply With Quote