View Single Post
Old 8th March 2021, 08:10 PM   #68
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
I can add a little more to the "prop" option (at the risk of upsetting Jim should any of the terms mentioned not meet with his approval ) :-

a) As well as movie props , theatre props should considered.

b) Circus type shows and exhibitions in the late 19th century. At this time period there existed the shameful practice of importing natives by some circus showmen, prominent being P T Barnum and R A Cunningham ... the natives were to perform various lurid and ludicrous displays. Natives were imported from Africa, India, Polynesia and Australia and performances took place in North America and Europe. Of course, exotic and showy props were required in the performances and possibly the cuirass in question could fit the bill. Some images attached.

I won't delve further into this painful yet factual history, but anyone wishing to learn more should read "Professional Savages, Captive Lives and Western Spectacle" by Roslyn Poignant 2004.

Finally, in respect of the "diplomatic gifts" option, I attach an woodcut image of Omai on his return to Tahiti on Captain Cook's third voyage and wearing his gift of a suit of armour ...

Thanks Colin, and I do appreciate the tender attention to my perceived sensitivities on the use of terms. It seems as so often the use of a term or phrase used in entries is challenged (especially in my case) as being incorrect, inflated, inappropriate etc.... I was under the impression it was OK to add input in kind. It has never been my intention to annoy or rebuke anyone personally, but to add perspective where a misused term might misalign the situation at hand.
When my wife catches me in a mistake, I just tell her, I did it on purpose just so she wont think I'm perfect

I have truly enjoyed this discussion, and it has honestly been a learning experience, and this item is a true conundrum.

Considering myself a kind of 'devils advocate 'on this topic, I do not discount any possibility, but do feel strongly that this is an African item, and used in the context of the West African warrior groups, possibly continued in use in the society cults.

The reason I think it was fabricated in Africa is that the shape resembles the other hide armors used by warriors in these societies in West Africa, most notably the pangolin hide types. The strong colonial presence provided more than adequate supply of steel, rivets, etc. of European origin which could be used by native artisans to refurbish this as described.

In the unfortunate slave trade which took place in these regions, the primary commodities used as mediums of exchange were of course, guns and powder, as well as cowrie shells. Natives tend to excitedly respond to items and materials that are 'foreign' and unavailable to them if I have understood correctly. We see many images of native warriors proudly exhibiting weapons and dress of European origin.

Turning to the 'prop' angle here.
While considering 'movie props' naturally if we are looking at this area in a general sense, items of greater antiquity, of course 'theater (or opera) items would be included. As noted, in the latter 19th c. with the publics intrigue with the exotica of natives and peoples of faraway lands, there were staged performances much like the'Buffalo Bill'' kind which traveled all over.

Naturally, there was great demand for costuming, and one cannot discount that this item might have been fabricated for same......or perhaps, taken, as is, for use in these performances. Either way, I feel the crocodile armor is a genuinely used item which has been refurbished with iron......possibly in ceremonial use,.......then taken into the the theatrical fold.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote