View Single Post
Old 28th February 2012, 12:14 PM   #328
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default Katzbalgers with Accessories (By-knives, Beiwerkzeug)

These accessories (which were also integral parts of the sheaths of period hand-and-half swords) usually comprised all sorts af practical small tools the Landsknecht had to make everyday use of:
at least one knife, a two-pointed fork, an awl or bodkin for mending clothes, a pricker etc.

To my knowledge, these accessories are only preserved together with the personal Katzbalger af Ulrich von Schellenberg in the Vienna Waffensammlung, of which I posted images in this thread before. Here are some additional, plus the measurements:

http://gs19.inmotionhosting.com/~mil...mes/read/12291

Of course, lots of detached accessories are known; in my collection, e.g. there a by-knife with a bone handle, the blade struck with a star-shaped maker's mark and the bronze pommel dated 1528 on the obverse and struck with three similar starks on the reverse. These were charcteristic makes of the cutlers' guild. The shapes of their pommels were designed to match and often mirrored that of the pommel of the (main) weapon, the Grosses Messer, Katzbalger or hand-and-half sword.

The period artwork is taken from Cod. Pal. germ. 128, Franz Helm, Buch von den probierten Künsten (Book on Tested Arts), 1535.

Attached below is a very fine late Maximilian type of by-knife, ca. 1520-5, most probably from the sheath of a fine hunting sword or saber.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 28th February 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote