View Single Post
Old 15th January 2012, 08:07 PM   #308
cornelistromp

I have sent a few pictures of my scabbard to JP Puype the former curator of the Army Museum, and author of Arms and Armour of knights and Landknechts.

here is a quote from his mail reply( I have translated it from Dutch into Englisch);

Finally, the sheath (P1020890 pictures and -889), I think a good example of a sheath for a landsknecht. Only we know too little sheaths of landsknechtdaggers for this one to be called typical or atypical , but it seems OK to me, I think the sheath dates back to the mid-sixteenth century.

I am currently working two days a week at the archeology department of the municipality of Amsterdam on the handling of the weapon finds from the north south line. Among the many hundreds of objects I have a sheath of a landsknecht dagger identified, please note almost identical to the sheath of such a dagger at the Army Museum, see my latest book Cat.73, p.234-237 Arms and Armour of knights and Landknechts (thanks for your compliment!). I attach a scan of the magazine which I describe below nr.350 a rough sketch of the sheath that I have made. The service had indentified the object initially as " flag shoe", or as also a tube to carry a flag pole.

Sincerely,
Jan Piet Puype.

best,
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 16th January 2012 at 11:43 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote