View Single Post
Old 25th November 2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Iain

I have been asked to contribute a few comments to this thread. I will tread lightly as my experience in kaskaras is somewhat less that most of the folks here.

However a few points.

It has been noted the use of the pentagram in Morocco and on their flag. However the pentagram as a symbol is found much closer to potential home of this kaskara - in Ethiopia. The flag of Ethiopia as generally seen is of cross bands of green, yellow and red. However the current flag includes a blue circle with the pentagram marked in yellow. This is not a particularly old design, but certainly shows that the symbol has meaning in Ethiopia.

I think the connection with the seal of Solomon could be key to understanding the use of this symbol. Ethiopia as a whole has a religious and mythical connection with Solomon, maintaining in fact that one of his offspring started the Ethiopian empire.

I am not aware of the pentagram being used in other areas of the Sahara (I checked a few references including Gabus' Symbols of the Sahara) but at the same time...

Solomon has importance in Islam (and various powers are assigned to him such as control over the wind and having Jinns as servants). In fact the ring of Solomon in some legends has the power to control Jinns. Given what we know of talismanic markings applied to kaskara which were supposed to grant powers to the user of the sword, it seems logical to me these marks were intended in much the same way.

So in a way we are back at Ethiopia as a maybe, but I am tending towards thinking it may not have anything to do with Jewish craftsmen or even Ethiopia.

I think the symbol and lore associated with it are well enough established in Islam that combined with the habit of talismanic marks it is quite possible it was applied locally in the Sudan?

Cheers,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote