View Single Post
Old 18th November 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
katana

Hi Stephen,

I have not seen these markings before...One of the 'obvious' interpretations of the, often called 'star of David' is an association with Judaism however, this is unlikely. The history of the symbol, according to some scholars, pre-dates the Israelites and is associated with the occult and Ancient Egypt.....

http://www.cephas-library.com/israel...nted_star.html

If they are correct (ie Ancient Egypt) then this symbolism would be known in and around Egypt, Sudan etc ,and perhaps , 'transported' via trading routes.

The 'eyelash' mark is commonly seen on Indian weapons....and the markings here seem to be a variation. Usually 3 dots, often arranged to form a triangle, are found either end of the 'eyelash' ...here it has the 'fly' mark (found on a number of Kasakara s etc from the region.) There are historical and trade connections between N.E. Africa and India (by sea) and the Arab trade routes overland so again, perhaps an adopted / adapted symbol.

Symbolism (assuming these are not 'makers marks) is notoriously hard to 'pin down' and are often open to interpretation .....these are my observations with no concrete evidence, I'm afraid.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote