View Single Post
Old 13th May 2018, 07:11 AM   #15
thinreadline

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
colt style cap & ball revolvers have a gap between the cylinder and the barrel. there is a significant discharge of gas, unburnt powder, burning powder, lead shavings from any misalignment, etc. the next round is perilously close. people usually fill the space above the rammed projectile with grease - when they have time. under sustained firing, they may skip the grease and thus increase the chances of setting off a chain of multiple detonations. pepperbox pistols didn't have the gap, but weren't grease filled either. if they were smart they'd use a greased patch and/or maybe a greased wad over the load. cartridge guns are a lot safer, but you still need to keep well away from the cylinder gap. colt made revolving rifles, but the nearness of the shooter's cheek to that gap made them quite unpopular. (and thus increased their price to modern collectors as fewer were made).

see also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucg5VAff4c
(under 18's should not click the link as chikken fingers gave their lives in this video.)

I had a chain fire with one of my cap and ball revolvers a few years back. Although I had greased the chambers , it was a very hot day and much of the grease had meted away . Although it was a spectacular event , no harm was sustained by me , the pistol or the people either side of me ! We were all no doubt very fortunate !
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote