Thread: Mahesa/Kebo
View Single Post
Old 9th June 2020, 10:54 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

David, it seems obvious to me that you can no longer hide your true character behind a camera lens. You are clearly descended from a long line of farmers, even though you may not be able to identify one single agriculturalist or herdsman in your known ancestors.

As to the name, I reckon it depends on who you are and where you are. In conversation with any keris literate person whom I know, I would simply call it "kebo":- we've got the thing in front of us, we know what we're talking about, and my keris literate friend could very easily use a different name for it, so just "kebo" would be good enough.

Moving away from that scenario, I'd follow the lead of whoever I was speaking with, in order not to create any disagreement --- something that the Name Game is pretty good at generating.

I'm not going to suggest a name for this keris, because I'd only do what you have already done, I'd look in every reference I could find and list the names I found.

Re the keris fit. If you coat the gonjo with machine oil and put the keris into the scabbard, the oil will stain where it touches, then you take a small, sharp blade and scrape (NOT cut) the stained wood away. After repeating this operation uncountable times you eventually get a flush fit. It does take a lot of time & patience to get it perfect. I recently fitted dress to a Jayasukadgo for a gentleman in the USA, and the final fitting took around as long as all the rest of it put together.

However, this idea of having a perfectly flush fit of the blade to the wrongko is a pretty recent I think. I have seen many older, I mean much older, Javanese & Balinese keris where most of the gonjo projects above the top of the gambar, this is also pretty common with Bugis style keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote